Wednesday, January 17, 2007

It's only a show

I very rarely find cause to criticise Keith Olbermann, but last night...his story about 24 being some tool of right-wing propaganda made me wonder if KO hasn't been drinking some of O'Reilly's alarmist juice. (That was much grosser than I meant) 24 is a television show...yes, it airs on the FOX network, yes, it's about terrorism and torture and all of that... but, it's soooo stupid. It's stupidity makes it awesome. It's ludicrous situations and outcomes make popcorn for the brain. The world is saved over and over again by one man...one Keifer Sutherland shaped man. Can Keith really be taking this show seriously?

Look if idiots like Rush Limbaugh and other right-wing crones want to glom onto the show and use it as a scare tactic against America's mentally challenged... fine...but, don't act like the rest of us are somehow being brainwashed into thinking that bombs could go off at any minute and stabbing a knife through some dude's knee is the only way to stop it. It's a fantasy. It's entertainment.

I don't think vampires are real just because I loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm not looking into space waiting for a cylon base ship to appear just because I watch Battlestar Galactica, I'm not expecting the T.A.R.D.I.S. to land at any moment with the Doctor in tow to save the earth from an attack by Daleks and I don't think that Jack Bauer is going to punch a "nucular" bomb to death. Why? Because I'm not a fucking rube. 24 is Sci Fi without the Sci...it's as unrealistic as a show can get. If politicians are really trying to use this ludicrous television show to justify their wars and their own scare tactics...then America's less brain-impaired should think about not voting for those guys again.

And that from a fucking LibNut.

No comments: