Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Democratic Cock-is

Lars and I attended the Democratic caucus for our district last night, where we met a host of hilarious characters, i.e. our fellow "liberal, commie-pinko, hippie" neighbors.
Despite my own liberal-commie-ism it's always been hard for me to attend, join or otherwise be herded into any sort of group or group function. It's just not in my nature to want to sit in a room with a lot of my fellow humans...no offense.
However, my husband really wanted to go and since I normally totally bring him down socially, I decided to put my hermit-crab-like nature aside and get democratic.
With our curry potatoes simmering, we kissed the dogs goodbye and hopped in Tawnya's car.
We drove, looking for the west side elementary school, cracking jokes about following the Suburu in front of us bearing the "No one is born a bigot" bumper sticker, but stopped laughing when the Suburu led us right where we needed to go. Ahhh, I love it when stereotypes are helpful.
Things got off to a bit of a late start, but once things got rolling I really enjoyed myself. Our district representative spoke about the last (stupid, crappy, bumalicious) legislative session and how he was disappointed with many of decisions made concerning the budget. It was so refreshing to see and hear a Utah politician actually giving a shit about health care and people with disabilities. It really made me feel warm all over.
When he was done, we broke into our smaller, precinct groups where we met some fucking hilarious people and where Lars ended up volunteering to be one of our three delegates. He's insisting now that I refer to him as "The delegate from precinct 2422" or "The gentleman from precinct 2422." There will be no controlling his ego now.

No comments: