Thursday, May 31, 2007

Dear Al Gore,

Will you please be my president?

I am a romantic and as such it is my way to hold onto the past, hope for reversals of fortune and hang onto the idea that all wrongs will be righted in the end. It's sometimes a sad, annoying way to live, I must admit and it's never come in handy in relationships or in my literal heartbreak over the cancellation of beloved t.v. shows, but here - right now, in politics we have a chance.

It's a sappy wish and a fallible one. It's not as if Al Gore could turn the oval office into a time machine and fix everything that's been so radically fucked over the past 6 years. (Though, that would be wicked cool). At the very least though, we would once again have a president who inspired loyalty, confidence and hope. A president who could complete whole sentences and talk for hours about the history of the printing press.

It's late and don't get me wrong, I'm all for Hillary and Obama - I want them to succeed, but my penchant for the dramatic compels me to hope for poetic justice.

Read a excerpt from Al Gore's new book, The Assault on Reason.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh man, I just felt inspired and depressed all in one go!